Optimisation sites Web

dimanche 31 mai 2009

THE SHOCKER: Nadal LOSES IN 4TH ROUND

Rafael Nadal's domination at the French Open was finally broken as the claycourt king shockingly surrendered 2-6, 7-6 (2), 4-6, 6-7 (2) to a 25th-ranked Swedish Robin Soderling on a bad Sunday for champions.

Soderling, hardly known out of tennis circle before the match, now put his name on everyone's lips after he completed a mission impossible by handing four-time winner Nadal his first-ever defeat at Roland Garros.

For a while, Nadal looked fighting back from one set down when he won a tiebreaker in the second set. While many thought the 22-year-old Spaniard could still roll on to a record fifth straight title in, Soderling refused to let it happen.



As his attempt at an angled volley looped wide in the second tiebreaker of the match, Nadal was finally brought down on his favorite surface on which he has piled up 150 wins against six losses including the most vicious one.

"I lost. That's what I can say," said Nadal, "I played very short and I made him very easy to play at this level. When a player plays bad, he must lose."

"This is not a tragedy, losing here in Paris. It had to happen one day. I have to accept it with the same calm when I lose as when I win," he added.

Also on clay, Nadal had overwhelmed Soderling, 6-1, 6-0, earlier this season in the Round of 16 in Rome, but he insisted he was not surprised by his opponent's powerful performance this time.

"He didn't surprised me, because I know how he play, how dangerous he can be." he said.

"So it was my fault. Sure, he did very well. But I didn't play my tennis and for that reason I lost." he added.

Soderling tried to stay cool as he braced himself for "the biggest moment so far" of his career.

"I'm very, very happy. I couldn't even dream of this before the match, so I will remember this match for the rest of my life. But I also want to try to concentrate on the next matches, so I don't want to feel too happy.

"I kept telling myself, this is just another match. I don't care if it's the fourth round in French Open against Nadal. This is just like any other match. That helped me." he added.

Taken from: www.chinaview.cn 2009-06-01 10:08:14

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire